Pages

Wednesday 2 May 2018

Heating Particles (Heating a ball and ring)

Tuesday 1st of May 2018
01/05/2018

Today Drew, Josh and myself (Jessie) did an experiment with particles where we heated a ball and ring with a Bunsen burner on a blue flame. We experimented by heating one at a time then cooling them, then heating both at the same time (Josh and myself tried to get them stuck but it didn't work) Drew unfortunately didn't do much because of his broken finger.

Here is a small list of items we used
-A ball and ring made out if brass.
-A Bunsen burner
-A heat proof mat

What happened ?

Image result for bunsen burner blue flameAs we heated up the brass ball first we noticed it started to expand, and didn't fit through the ring anymore but when, when we heated the ring it also expanded and then the ball, fit through the ring once again. we also noticed that the colour changed from gold to a bronze type colour when heated and when cooled, it turned gold again.
.







Image result for heat proof mat for bunsen burner
This is the ball and ring                                                    Bunsen burner



















This is the heat proof mat

Written by Jessie Wood 9sp.










No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.